The skeleton is the main component of the transformer. It can provide the winding space for the copper wire, support the copper wire, connect the PCB board, and fix the magnetic core. Materials that can be used to make transformer skeletons include nylon, PBT, PET, LCP, bakelite, and epoxy. Among them, the FR4 epoxy board has superior performance and is one of the most commonly used materials for manufacturing transformer skeletons. So why does it have this purpose?
What kind of electrical insulation material can be used as the skeleton of the transformer?
Basic requirements: good insulation, electric heating performance, resistance to voltage shock, considerable mechanical strength, solvent corrosion resistance, moisture resistance, low thermal expansion rate.
Then let’s take a look at the performance characteristics of the FR4 epoxy version to determine if it is suitable as a skeleton for the transformer.
Features of FR4 epoxy resin board:
1. it not only has low moisture rate, is not easy to deform, and has good electrical properties in both wet and dry conditions, and does not carry a charge because it is used in a humid environment.
2. In addition, epoxy resin sheets are also characterized in terms of resistance to electric shock.
3. the use temperature range is -50 ° C ~ 150 ° C, the flame retardant grade reaches UL94-V0, chemical corrosion resistance such as acid and alkali salt, high mechanical strength,
4. the price aspect relative to other electrical insulation materials, is definitely a representative of inexpensive.
5. processing and molding is convenient.
From the characteristics of the FR4 epoxy board, it is fully in line with the requirements of the transformer skeleton. As far as I know, other materials that can make transformer skeletons, such as nylon, have good toughness and extensibility, but are easily melted and deformed. The maximum operating temperature is only 100 °C. LCP materials have good hardness and toughness, and the heat distortion temperature is even 300. °C, the flame retardant grade also has UL94-V0, but the price is too expensive.
In contrast, FR4 is cost-effective, which is the main reason why it is used to make transformer skeletons. If you need FR4 transformer skeleton, welcome to ZTELEC Group to order, we can process according to the scale you need, proofing free, short delivery, price concessions.