Epoxy resins and epoxy adhesives are harmless, but due to the addition of solvents and other harmful substances during the preparation process, many epoxy resins are harmful to the body.
In recent years, the epoxy resin industry in China is undergoing water-based modification to avoid adding additives and other methods to maintain the “non-toxic” nature of epoxy resins. At present, the vast majority of epoxy resin coatings are solvent-based coatings that contain large amounts of volatile organic compounds (VOC) and are toxic and flammable, thus causing damage to the environment and human body.
Epoxy resin is an organic polymer compound that contains two or more epoxy groups in the molecule. Their molecular weight is not high, except for a few. The molecular structure of epoxy resin is characterized by the presence of active epoxy groups in the molecular chain, epoxy groups can be located at the end of the molecular chain, or in a ring structure. Due to the presence of reactive epoxy groups in the molecular structure, they can cross-link with various types of curing agents to form insoluble) infusible polymers with a three-way network structure.
Epoxy Resin Properties And Characteristics:
1. Various forms. Various resin) curing agents) modifier systems can be adapted to the requirements imposed by the various applications on the form, ranging from very low viscosity to high melting point solids.
2. Easy to cure. With a variety of different curing agents, the epoxy resin system can be cured in the temperature range of 0-180°C.
3. Strong adhesion. The presence of polar hydroxyl groups and ether bonds inherent in the epoxy resin chain gives it high adhesion to various substances. The shrinkage of the epoxy resin when cured is low and the resulting internal stress is small, which also helps to increase the adhesive strength.
4. Low shrinkage. The reaction of the epoxy resin and the curing agent used is carried out by direct addition reaction or ring-opening polymerization of epoxy groups in the resin molecules, without the release of water or other volatile by-products. They exhibit very low shrinkage (less than 2%) during curing compared to unsaturated polyester resin) phenolic resins.
5) Mechanical properties. The cured epoxy resin system has excellent mechanical properties.
6.Electrical properties. The cured epoxy resin system is an excellent insulating material with high dielectric properties, resistance to surface leakage, and arc resistance.
7. Chemical stability. In general, the cured epoxy resin system has excellent alkali resistance (acid resistance and solvent resistance). Like other properties of the cured epoxy system, chemical stability also depends on the choice of resin and curing agent. Appropriate use of epoxy resin and curing agent can make it have special chemical stability.
8. Dimensional stability. The combination of many of the above properties gives epoxy systems outstanding dimensional stability and durability.
9. Resistant to mold. The cured epoxy system is resistant to most molds and can be used under harsh tropical conditions.
The above content is a detailed answer to “Health dangers of epoxy resin“. If you think that the articles I share are helpful to you, please continue to pay attention to us. Remember to contact me when you need insulating materials and transformers. Insulation material manufacturers and suppliers in China, we have a strong strength and passed the international quality certification. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Looking forward to your message.